While we primarily offer solid-cast jewelry in bronze, sterling silver, and 14K gold, you’ll also find a handful of gold-filled jewelry on our website.
You may be wondering - what exactly is gold-filled jewelry?
We’re taking the guesswork out of it and giving you the scoop on what gold-filled jewelry is and why it’s worth adding to your collection.
What is gold-filled jewelry?
Among the cast jewelry you’ll find in the MIMOSA collection, we also offer a handful of gold-filled jewelry. While we do not make these gold-filled pieces in-house, some are still assembled or hand-set with stones at our shop.
How exactly is gold-filled jewelry made?
Each gold-filled piece is “made by heat- and pressure-bonding a thin layer of karat gold to a brass (or other base metal) core,” Rio Grande explains. So when it came down to choosing a type of secondary jewelry to offer for everyday wear, we went with gold-filled over gold-plated because “gold-filled has an actual layer of karat gold, not just a microscopic film,” says Rio Grande. To put it simply, gold-filled is in between solid gold and gold-plated.
Within the world of gold-filled jewelry, there is also variation in the makeup of each piece. The pieces we offer are 14/20 Gold-Filled.
The "first number is the karat purity of the gold used; the second number is the amount, by weight, of gold to the substrate metal,” Rio Grande explains.
Each gold-filled piece we offer is nickel free.
Each lapel/tie pin we offer is available in bronze, sterling silver, or 14K gold, however, the tie tac clutch/pin backs are plated and do contain nickel.
Why did we choose gold-filled jewelry to complement the jewelry we cast in-house?
There are a few reasons why gold-filled jewelry is our go-to!
Gold-filled jewelry lends itself to comfortable, everyday wear
It’s important to us that the jewelry we offer can be part of your everyday lifestyle. It’s the same principle we follow with the jewelry we cast in-house.
That’s why we chose gold-filled jewelry options to pair with your favorite MIMOSA or to wear all on their own. Gold-filled jewelry can handle hand washing and a bath or shower without fear of its color chipping away, which can happen with gold plating.
However, removing your gold-filled jewelry beforehand is still the best way to promote its longevity and the quality of its appearance.
Gold-filled jewelry is an affordable alternative to solid gold
Gold-filled jewelry looks pretty much identical to solid gold jewelry.
Adding a few gold-filled staples to your collection is a cost-effective way to achieve the golden look you want without having the price tag of a solid gold piece.
We wear gold-filled jewelry
Our jewelry box contains a mix of metals, but gold-filled jewelry is certainly a staple of ours. We wear and enjoy all the gold-filled jewelry we offer on our website.
MIMOSA's Gold-Filled Jewelry Options
There are various gold-filled options available on our website! We’ve gone ahead and listed them below for you.
*If you’ve opted to purchase one of our bronze necklaces with a chain, it will come on an Everyday Gold-Filled Chain. However, the pendant itself is solid cast bronze.
- Everyday Chain 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Dainty Chain 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Heart Chain 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Inherited Chain Necklace 14/20 Gold-Filled (*please note this chain does also include a layer of 14k yellow gold plating)
- Inherited Chain Bracelet 14/20 Gold-Filled (*please note this chain does also include a layer of 14k yellow gold plating)
- Collectors Chain Necklace 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Collectors Chain Bracelet 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Chain Extender 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Satellite Chain 14/20 Gold-Filled
- À La Mode Chain 14/20 Gold-Filled (A Shoppe exclusive!)
- Bonbon Ring 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Tiny Ring 14/20 Gold-Filled
- We use gold-filled ear wires on each pair of bronze earrings. 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Stud Earring Backs 14/20 Gold-Filled
Studs - Bars 14/20 Gold Filled
- Studs - Carnelian 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Studs - Circles 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Studs - Dots 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Studs - Hearts 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Studs - Lapis 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Studs - Mother of Pearl 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Studs - Squares 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Studs - Tiny 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Studs - Turquoise 14/20 Gold-Filled
- Tiny Hoops 14/20 Gold-Filled
Article Referenced in Post: Rio Grande, "Guide to Working with Gold-Filled Metals & Findings"
Published 5/12/21; Last Updated 4/11/23
Leave a comment